Thursday, September 18, 2008

Dove

My cousin, Allison, recently posted one of my favorite video advertisements of all time. You can check it out at her blog here: allisonkimball.typepad.com

The video is part of the Dove Campaign for Real Beauty. This campaign is, for me, something that just makes me feel passionate about my field. I had the enormous opportunity to attend a Q&A session at a public relations conference with members of the Dove marketing team and Edelman PR, one of the public relations firms Dove worked with on this campaign.

The idea behind it is absolutely fabulous. Dove conducted a worldwide research project evaluating women's perceptions of beauty. They were shocked to find that worldwide (not just in the United States) only 2% of women thought they were beautiful. In conjunction with internationally renowned public relations firms such as Ogilvy and Mather, Edelman (as mentioned above), and Harbinger Communications, Dove launched the Campaign for Real Beauty.

In defiance of the Super Bowl advertising norm, Dove aired "Daughters" during Super Bowl XL. It certainly wasn't funny, but it got lot attention for two huge reasons. Fifty percent of Super Bowl watchers are female and the other 50% are fathers, brothers and sons. The reception was phenomenal (details above I had to glean from Wiki, the percentages are from my notes).

Also spectacularly done was Dove's billboard advertisements, my favorite of which is posted below.

Another billboard, also a favorite:Dove's concept was to start a discussion. What really is beautiful? These billboards were placed in areas like Times Square. The Wrinkled or Wonderful billboard was seen in London. Passerbys could actually text Dove and "vote" whether they thought the woman was Fat or Fabulous. According to Wikipedia the results were actually posted real-time on the billboard.

Dove took corporate responsibility to a level that, in my opinion, hasn't been seen since the Cyanide/Tylenol scare in 1982. I'm curious to see who else is going to step up to the plate. I'm rearing to be a part of it.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Rebecca, I think you are beautiful. I've enjoyed your new posts.

Montserrat said...

I made my girls watch the video several months ago. They now realize every photo they see on a magazine or billboard is photoshopped. I love the Dove campaign!

And I totally agree with Michelle, you are beautiful. :D

AllisonK said...

Great post Rebecca! You have such a great way with the written words. I have looked into this campaign more today and I adore the "onslaught" commercial. Going to have to do another post.

Rebecca said...

Thanks, guys :-) Allison, I look forward to your next post!