Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Ah, school...

Today was my second day of classes. School actually started on Monday, but I only have classes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday so only day two for me :-) (you think that's cool, my FRESHMAN roomie somehow managed to get Tuesday/Thursday classes... lucky duck, when I got hom from classes at 11 I think she had just woken up).



I was a litting worried about my Spanish classes this semester (I have two, one gramma and one lit) because I haven't really spoken Spanish since my trip to Spain over the summer. But my fears were alleviated as it turns out 3 years and two months of studying Spanish did not magically disappear in the past 4 months. Who knew? In any case, I think I'm going to thoroughly enjoy my classes this semester.



I was, however, reminded how ever so much I dislike taking foreign language classes with RMs (returned missionaries for those who don't know). They mutter! Constantly! They absolutely must answer all questions if only "under their breath." Not all of them, of course, but there's always at least one (I happened to sit next to him if you can't tell). Oopa. I shall arrange my seating better next time. Perhaps more strategically next to the cutie in the third row. But if he's a mutterer all deals are off!



Anyway, now that I've gotten that out of my system... I'm also taking an economics class. There are many, many horror stories about this class but I think that makes me feel more competitive more than anything. I know I'll at least pass, so the only way from there is up, right? :-)



Between those three classes I have 9 credits (12 is full time at BYU) but I also have an internship I am doing for credit which brings it up to 13 total. I've been trying to stick to a schedule with everything in order to make sure I get my goals/resolutions for the day in there. So far things have gone really well! I'm actually pretty excited with how much I have gotten done this week.



On a side note, I am really excited about my internship. I started writing my first press release for the company and it frustrated me to no end (and, no, I'm not going to tell you what the release was about... you'll just have to read it when it finally gets posted on their web site). That, of course, was not the exciting part. That was the "crud, what did I get myself into?" part. Anyway, I was feeling pretty lame about my attempts at the press release because the company is a pretty niche tech company and I had no idea what I was writing about. A few people, though, cheered me up and got me excited again about the internship. The first is a fellow we shall call N. N came in to introduce himself to me towards the end of my day and apparently he graduated from BYU in PR (like me!). He told me, "yeah... there's a pretty big learning curve. It took me months to get the hang of things, but it comes!" So that made me feel a lot better (it was my 4th day on the job, heh). Then today I met with supervisor J (ALSO a BYU PR major grad) so he could explain some tech stuff to me so I could work more on the press release. Needless to say I was pretty stoked about writing the press release and my internship in general after that.



Supervisor J is a huge fan of BYU's communications planning matrix that all the students come out knowing from the PR program (it's, essentially, steps one should follow when planning any type of campaign). For most of you this means nothing, but I pretty much get to implement it a lot in my internship. Basically, as turns out, my education is applicable in the real world. A very exciting epiphany for me (can I get a woot, woot?!).

So things are going well. More updates to come. :-)

1 comment:

Rebekah Wood said...

Ha ha...I bet those RM's are annoying! I am so glad I'm not taking any language! Best of luck with everything.